Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A tiny bottle and thousands of miniscule beads

I bought this tiny vial with a plastic stopper and carved a cork for it.  Then I filled it with garnets from my mother's stash and threw in a few beads for good measure.  I made the sterling silver wirework that holds the neck of the vial and provides a bail for hanging.  Sometimes I wear it with this heart locket and key, sometimes I string other things to accompany it.

This is a bracelet I made while watching tv.  It took me a week working an hour or more each evening after dinner.  Some people knit, I guess I bead weave.  If you had asked me in October if I would ever do this I would have told you that you were completely crazy.  Something happened and I tried it.  Now I'm hooked and can't get enough.  It has taught me a lot of patience, as if teaching for 17 years were not enough!  I can allow myself to make mistakes, not understand directions, and rip out hours of work ( a la Penelope) in order to redo a mistake.  My favorite beads are Japanese seed beads called Delicas.  I am particularly found of the #15's.  One gram of #15's is equal to about 363 beads!  This piece is made with beads slightly larger than that.  It is really a practice piece and the wavy quality is intentional.  I've learned how to hide the threads that are visible on the edges (maybe I hid them well in this photo). Somewhere around here is another bracelet that is more wavy.  Right now I'm working on a piece that has two layers of woven beads.


No comments:

Post a Comment